Sunday, February 12, 2012

Monday, Day #26 Growing Through Temptation

"Every temptation is an opportunity to do good.

Temptation simply provides a choice.  Every time you choose to do good instead of sin, you are growingin the character of Christ.

God develops the fruit of the Spirit in your life by allowing you to experience circumstances in which you're temped to express the exact opposite quality!  Character development always involves a choice, and temptation provides that opportunity.

Joy is based on your relationship to God.

Every time you defeat a temptation, you become more like Jesus.

All temptation follows the same four step pattern;
1, Satan identifies a desire inside you.  Temptation starts when Satan suggests (with a thought) that you give in to an evil desire.  Satan whispers, "You deserve it"  Temptation begins within us.
2, Doubt.  Satan tries to get you to doubt what god has said about sin; Is it really wrong?
3, Deception. Satan says...You can get away with it, No one will ever know.  It will solve your problem.  Besides, everyone else is doing it.
4, Disobedience.  You finally act on the thought you've been toying with in your mind.  "We are tempted when we are drawn away and trapped by our evil desires."

Overcoming Temptation
Refuse to be intimidated.  You will never outgrow temtation.  It is also a normal part of being human and living in a fallen world.  Don't be surprised or shocked or discouraged by it. 
"When you are tempted"...not if.
Actually, the closer you grow to God, the more Satan will try to tempt you.  Satan fears your prayers and will try anything to stop them.
Recognize your pattern of temptation and be prepared for it.   "Stay alert.  The Devil is poised to pounce, and would like nothing better than to catch you napping"
Ask yourself;
When am I most tempted?
Where am I most tempted?
Who is with me when I'm most tempted?
How do I usually feel when I'm most tempted?
You should identify your typical pattern of temptayion and then prepare to avoid those situations as much as possible.  Wise planning reduces temptation.
Request God's help.  "Call on me in times of trouble, I will rescue you, and you will honor me."  Temptations keep us dependant on God. 
Every time you stand up to temptation you become more like Jesus." PDL Chapter 26

I never thought of temptation as an opportunity to do good.  Temptation offers us a choice, a choice to make the right decision.  I also thought temptation was something I could avoid, but I learn here that the Devil will continue to put it before me.  Not only will he put it before me, but it will be talor made for my exact weaknesses.  Very insightful to say this is normal, to be expected and to prepare for it.  For a start, I need to stay away from people, places & things that will tempt me.  After that, I need to watch out, be alert, because the closer I get to God, the harder the Devil will work to tempt me.  Lastly (and to begin with), I need to talk to God and ask his help in fighting off temptation.


No comments:

Post a Comment