Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Day #1 It all starts with God

"Everything got started in him and finds its purpose in him (Colossians 1:16b)

Unless you assume a God, the question of life's purpose is meaningless" Bertrand Russell, atheist

Pretty profound beginning; "It's not about you". This changes the focus from everything I assumed, before becoming a Christian. Not that I thought I was the center of the universe, but I thought that my thoughts and dreams mattered the most. Not in a conceited way, but in an everyday practical way. What am I going to do today? What do I want to do with my life, what are my goals, my dreams, etc? It changes everything to ask ' What does God want me to do? What an amazing thought to think that I am part of God's plan." PDL Chapter 1

Today's question: How can I remind myself that life is really about living for God, not myself?

I think I need to focus on how big God is and how small I am. In that manner maybe I can hear that "still small voice" that can direct my life, if I listen to it.

3 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to this journey, and contemplating todays message.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The picture that helps remind me is that of a parent. We are God's children. As a parent we ask our kids "if everyone else jumps off a bridge are you going to jump too?" So I hear God asking me if I am going to ignore Him, deny Him, pretend He doesn't exist just because the world seems to want to do that except on Christmas and Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What stands out most to me in today's reading is in the first paragraph - the purpose for my life is far greater than my own personal fulfillment, my happiness, far greater than my family, my career and my dreams. I've always thought being a mother-raising my family to acknowledge who God is-as my number one purpose. But it's not about that. Strip away all the stuff I have in my life and it comes down to it's between God and me. He will take care of everything else. So I need to ask myself daily, "are my actions, words, and attitude pleasing to God?" That will help to remind me that it's not about me.

    ReplyDelete