Monday, January 23, 2012

Tuesday Day # 6 Life is a Temporary Assignment

So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. for what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal. 2 Corinthians 4:18

Lord, remind me how brief my time on earth will be. Remind me that my days are numbered and that my life is fleeting away. Psalm 39:4

I am here on earth for just a little while. Psalm 119:19

Compared to eternity, life is brief. Earth is only a temporary residence. You won't be here long, so don't get too attached.

Friends, this world is not your home, so don't make yourselves cozy in it. Don't indulge your ego at the expense of your soul.

Those infrequent contact with the things of the world should make good use of them without becoming attached to them, for this world and all it contains will pass away.

I like the idea that I am a visitor, or Ambassador in a foreign country. The media is continually putting out the message challenging us to consume, consume. "Live for today, you can have it all". You "should" have the newest car, the best house and eat in the finest restaurants, you deserve it. But, as an Ambassador, I can live in that country and enjoy it's many benefits all the while knowing that I'm going back home and that before I go, I have a job to do. My job is to be an Ambassador of He that sent me. I'm on the clock 24 hours a day and through my actions, everyone I meet has the opportunity to wonder what life must be like, where I come from. I need to be more focused on where I'm going, than where I am.

1 comment:

  1. If something is temporary, we are not supposed to get attached to it. It's hard not getting attached to this temporary life and what's in it. It's tangible and we're living and breathing it - it's real! At the same time, I am to "fix my eyes on what is unseen" - heaven. I only know about heaven what I read in God's word and I can't even imagine what it will be like. Knowing that it will be my home someday should help me to live joyfully every day, better able to bear any trials that may come my way. The best is yet to come.

    ReplyDelete