Friday, January 20, 2012

Saturday, Day # 3 What Drives Your life?

Living on Purpose is the path to peace.

"You, LORD. give perfect peace to those who keep their purpose firm and put their trust in you." Isaiah 26:3

What am I driven by: guilt, resentment & anger, fear, materialism, the need for approval? This is a really good chapter, it gave me lots to think about. I'm driven by guilt. there are many things in my past that I wish i could erase. "We are the products of our past, but we don't have to be prisoners of it. God's purpose is not limited to your (my) past". I'm driven by anger. If someone wrongs me, i can stew and stew over it. in some cases, I've carried it for years. "Those who have hurt you in the past cannot continue to hurt you now, unless you hold on to the pain through resentment." I know it, but it's hard to let go. I'm driven by fear. I grew up in a poor family and although I make a very good living, I always worry where the next deal is going to come from. lastly I'm driven by the need for approval. As a child, I was always good, because I didn't want my Father to be disappointed in me. Even as an adult, the worst thing for me is to have someone disappointed in me. Well....it looks like I'm a mess. i think if I am focused on God's purpose for me, than these other things won't matter and I will be more at peace.

"Knowing your purpose gives meaning to your life." I like the idea of working for God's purpose, rather than mine.

"Knowing your purpose simplifies your life."

"Knowing your purpose focuses your life." I know what I need to do and what I don't need to do

"Knowing your purpose motivates your life."

"Knowing your purpose prepares you for eternity."

Question: What would my family and friends say is the driving force of my life. I think most of my friends (because they were once Clients) would say that it's my job. I think my close friends would add that I serve others. I think Carol would add learning about God. I would like it to be that I serve others.

2 comments:

  1. I've never given much thought to what the driving force in my life is. I've always just done the things that came with every day living ~~ get up, go to work, do after-work chores, take care of family, go to church, take on service type projects, leisure, etc. What motivates me to do these things? I go to work so I can have my needs and wants met, I go to church because I love God. I help others out of compassion and I know it pleases God, I've been blessed with an amazing family so I want to make them happy. After thinking about it, I suppose I could be driven by materialism because I worry about not having enough money to continue living our current life style when we retire, so I will probably work past the time that I'm eligible for retirement. Maybe I should re-evaluate what the priorities are in our life style. I possibly could be driven by the need for approval - I care a great deal about what others think about me. Not to the extent that I "follow the crowd," but I always try to make sure that I say and do things that would make people think well of me. I care a lot about the legacy that I will leave behind. I learned today that what matters most is what God will say about my life - not people here on earth. That should certainly make me more selective in my life. I always struggle with setting priorities and feel guilty that I never have enough time to do more for others and or read the Bible as I should. When I know my purpose, my life will be simplified because it will be my standard to live by. I won't have to "juggle" priorities. My focus will be clear. I like that. The two questions that will be asked of me by God - What I have done with Jesus Christ? I have accepted him as my Savior. What have I done with what God has given me? I need to have a better answer for this than what I do now. (My husband says I'm driven by my faith. That's because I talk to him about it more than anyone else.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friends seem to always think of me as someone who always knows "a guy" that does or can get whatever is their concern or issue at any given moment. I guess that means that I am someone they look to as a source of information or help depending on the circumstances. Just last night a neighbor called and said they are remodeling their kitchen and did I know someone or some organization that would be able to use their used appliances. I think of myself as a servant ever since I accepted Christ as my personal Lord and Savior. I am trying to focus on serving in ways that maximize my talents, and also to spend more time serving and less time with frivolous distractions.

    ReplyDelete